Black Trumpet Risotto
- 1 cup dried black trumpet mushrooms
- 2-3 TBS olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 3.5 cups chicken or vegetable broth (+1/2 cup reserved mushroom soaking water)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- grated parmesan to taste
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Fresh thyme sprigs
- Rehydrate dried black trumpet mushrooms with about 2-3 cups of warm water. Let soak for about 10 mins. Drain, reserving about 1/2 cup of the liquid to add to stock. When collecting reserve liquid either be careful not to disturb the sediment at the bottom or strain through tea bag or fine cheese cloth.
- Add oil to large pan on med. Add onions, cook 3-4 mins.
- Reduce heat to low/med, add garlic, cook another minute.
- Add rice, stir to coat with oil. Pour in wine and cook until fully absorbed, constantly stirring.
- Add in mushrooms and stir. Slowly add stock by the ladleful, waiting until fully absorbed between additions and stirring constantly the whole time.
- Add thyme, parmesan, salt, and pepper. Stir.
- Garnish with fresh herbs for serving.