Lion's Mane Tacos
Lion’s Mane Tacos
These Lion’s Mane Tacos feature the mild but mighty mushroom as the star of the show! The tender and savory lion's mane pairs perfectly with a nourishing cabbage slaw, smooth avocado crema, fresh radishes, and a sprinkle of cilantro.
Dried or Fresh Lion's Mane?
For this recipe, you can use either dried or fresh lion's mane. If you’re using dried, simply rehydrate your mushrooms before following the recipe as written. Submerge your mushrooms in water for about 30 minutes before using, then strain and rinse the reconstituted shrooms. Feel free to keep the soaking liquid! Use a splash of the extra liquid to loosen any stubborn mushrooms that get stuck to the pan while cooking. Or, use the extra liquid as a flavorful base to a brothy soup, as cooking liquid for a rice pilaf, and so on.
Is this vegan-friendly?
Yes! Substitute the yogurt in the avocado crema for your favorite vegan-friendly yogurt or sour cream alternative to suit your lifestyle.
Dress your tacos up or down however you like. Skip the cilantro if you’re not a fan, add some hot sauce to suit your spice level, or enjoy them as written. These tacos are customizable, so don’t be afraid to get creative with it!
2 cup lion's mane, shredded
1 tbsp olive oil
1 cup purple cabbage, shredded
1 green onion
½ lime, juiced
2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
½ tsp cumin
1 lime, juiced
¼ jalapeno, seeds removed
½ cup greek yogurt or vegan yogurt of your choice
1 tbsp cilantro
8 6-inch corn tortillas
2 small radishes
Cilantro for garnish
- If using dried lion's mane, submerge the mushrooms into a bowl of water and soak them for 30 minutes. After soaking, strain and rinse the mushrooms.
- Prepare cabbage slaw. Shred cabbage, slice green onions and discard the root, juice lime, and roughly chop cilantro. In a medium bowl, toss the cabbage, green onions, lime juice, cilantro, cumin, and salt and set aside.
- Prepare the avocado crema. Slice avocado in half, pivoting around the pit of the avocado. Scoop the flesh out of the avocado peel and add to a food processor. Juice a lime and add to the food processor, add jalapeno, yogurt, cilantro, and salt. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Shred the lion's mane by hand into small chunks. Preheat a large skillet with oil to medium-high heat. Add the lion's mane and a pinch of salt. Stirring occasionally, cook until the mushrooms are tender and just beginning to crisp, about 4-5 minutes.
- Preheat a separate pan to medium heat. Place the corn tortillas, one at a time, onto the hot skillet and lightly toast for about 1 minute, flipping halfway through. Slice the radishes into thin disks.
- Assemble the tacos. Fill the warm tortillas with the sauteed lion's mane, top with cabbage slaw, avocado crema, radishes, and fresh cilantro. Enjoy fresh!