Maitake Fried Rice
- 1 med carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 med cucumber, sliced
- 1/2 cup white wine or rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 oz dried maitake mushrooms
- 1 cup dry wild rice (or rice of choice), cooked according to package directions
- 1 TBSP fish sauce (or vegan replacement)
- 2 scallions, finely sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 TBSP cooking oil
- 2 TBSP butter
- 4 eggs
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- chopped thai chili pepper (optional)
makes about 4 servings
- Begin to cook rice according to directions (when done set aside).
- While waiting for rice to cook, grab a small pot, boil vinegar, tsp of sugar and salt, plus 1/2 cup water. When boiling, add carrots and cucumbers. Turn off heat and set aside for about 30 mins. Save about 1/3 of the pickling liquid to store excess pickled topping.
- During the time it takes for the pickling process, soak mushrooms in warm water for about 15 minutes. Agitate to remove any debris, and remove/ drain mushrooms. Set aside. Throw away soaking water.
- Bring a large pan to medium- high heat with about a mix of cooking oil and butter. Add mushrooms, cook for about 4-5 mins. Add scallions (and optional chopped chili) , cook another minute. Add garlic, cook for another minute. Add rice, stir, and add fish sauce. Reduce to med- heat, cook for about 2 mins.
- At this point you can set aside the rice and sunny side up fry each your eggs.
- Serve rice into bowls, top with egg, and then picked topping. Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste on top.